Across all areas of training there are essentially five streams of work:
(1) Practitioner – doing the work you were trained to do.
(2) Researcher – investigating a topic of interest. As an academic you are simultaneously a Practitioner and a Researcher
(3) Educator – Training others based on your skills, experience and training.
(4) Management – Overseeing the work of others.
(5) Policy – Implementing and organising how work happens.
Of course the streams aren’t mutually exclusive and they have different levels of experience and expertise within them.