Every Wednesday from 1230 to 1315 (Melbourne, Australia Time), I run a free workshop on various topics aimed at PhD students, ECRs and established researchers.
How I work
I’m an inspiring and engaging speaker (well my mum thinks so) who is passionate about making the most of your training beyond your PhD.
Are you a PhD student or academic? Do you want to know what’s next or what else is possible?
I help academic institutions and their staff be commercially smart about the application and implementation of their research ideas.
- Writing Your Resume (Sep 2021)No matter what you want to do or become, you’ll need to write a resume. Versions will end up in grants. Versions will end up on websites. Versions will be submitted to promotion panels. Versions will be sent to prospective employers. In this workshop, Richard helped you work out what should be include and what […]
- Should I Do a PhD Thesis by Publication?The best thesis is a submitted thesis. This by publication could make this faster or slower. Be aware of the pros and cons. If you’d like to know more, comment, DM or shoot me an email. I’ll send you some content.
- I did a traditional thesis. But I have since coached/helped many PhD students do both thesis by publication and traditional. My advice – Do it! For most (Australian) universities this is so much better. But there are some things to note (good and bad):
- This question really doesn't have a straight answer. PhDs are not easy. They are not intended or designed to be easy. But there are probably things you can do to make the whole process easier.
- No matter what you want to do or become, you’ll need to write a resume. Versions will end up in grants. Versions will end […]
- The best thesis is a submitted thesis. This by publication could make this faster or slower. Be aware of the pros and cons. If […]
- Six tips for an easy PhD: Have a good research question. Use known research tools. Have accessible data and/or samples. Build your analytical skills. […]
- Three tips to help you (or you students) fall in love with your PhD: Take time away from and deprioritise the PhD. Get to […]
- So much of our lives are planned. School. University. Further study. Marriage. Birth. Heck, even death and funerals are planned. But how many of […]